It is thought that Bodrum shipyard was established in 1775. According to an archive document, the first ship in Bodrum has been putted on workbench in 1784. Its lumber was brought from the mountains of Bodrum. Together with the Ottoman tower erected as lookout tower against pirate’s attacks, the city walls of the shipyard has been expanded in 1882. The structure today serves as art gallery.
Today, behind the old shipyard, there is the Ottoman Cemetery where the tomb of Anonymous Horseman Rider and the Ottoman Sailor Cafer Paşa is also existing.
Nowadays, the wooden boats made in small shipyards in various regions of Bodrum Peninsula, has become a passion for local and foreign sea lovers.
Ottoman shipyard is situated in the northwest of Bodrum Port and west of Karada Marina.